This is a great time to go through your home maintenance checklist. Minor repairs and preparations can keep your home safe and warm for the upcoming winter months.
• Close and drain hose bibs.
• Rake debris away from side of house and other structures.
• Clean out gutters, downspout elbows, and check for roof leaks.
• Check foundation and repair any cracks.
• Clean around air conditioner compressor.
• Trim any trees or shrubs that touch house.
• Inspect and replace weatherstripping; re-caulk if needed.
• Repair torn screens; inspect and clean storm windows.
• Clean under decks and porches.
• Inspect seals and clean out basement window wells.
• Check external lights, especially by stairs; replace burnt out bulbs.
• Run all gas-powered lawn equipment until the fuel is gone.
• Check the dryer vent to make sure it is clear.
• Clean and reverse the ceiling fans so the blades push air up instead of down.
• Replace batteries in the smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
• Test alarms to be sure they are working properly.
• Replace air filters in furnace.
• Adjust thermostat settings for fall/winter temperatures.
• Stock emergency supplies in case the power (and heat) goes out.