Once you’ve decided you are ready to move, it’s time to create your wish list. Start writing down all of the features and amenities you would like in a home. You can always narrow it down later. Here are some things to consider…
- What neighborhood do you want to buy in?
- Do you need to be close to public transportation?
- Do you need to consider travel time to work or schools?
- Does this neighborhood foster your lifestyle?
- Age: Do you prefer historic properties, or newer ones?
- Style: Do you have a special preference for ranches, bungalows, or another style of construction?
- Bedrooms: How many?
- Master suite?
- Bathrooms: How many? Are they updated?
- Living and Dining Areas: A traditional, formal layout, or a more open, contemporary plan?
- Stories: How many?
- Square feet: How much space?
- Ceilings: How high?
- Kitchen: How big? Recently updated? Open to other living areas?
- Storage: Big closets, a shed, an extra-large garage?
- Parking: A garage or carport? Room for how many cars?
- Extras: Attic or basement?
- Property Features: Size of yard? Fenced? Sprinkler System?
- Play/exercise room
- Security system
- In-law suite
- Hot tub
- Wooded lot
- Patio, deck, or porch
- Laundry room
Other things to consider:
Do you want to build equity with doing some updating or repairs yourself?
What are some things that you definitely DON’T want in your new home?